Current:Home > reviewsNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -EverVision Finance
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Fastexy Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 14:10:05
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (8)
Related
- Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
- Jason Dickinson scores twice as the Chicago Blackhawks beat the Calgary Flames 3-1
- Supreme Court seems poised to reject abortion pill challenge after arguments over FDA actions
- Frantic text after Baltimore bridge collapse confirms crew OK: 'Yes sir, everyone is safe'
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Arnold Schwarzenegger gets a pacemaker, becomes 'a little bit more of a machine'
- Judge issues gag order barring Donald Trump from commenting on witnesses, others in hush money case
- MLB's five most pivotal players to watch for 2024
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Suspect used racial slur before fatally stabbing Walmart employee, 18, in the back, police say
Ranking
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- Texas AG Ken Paxton reaches deal to resolve securities fraud charges before April trial
- Famed American sculptor Richard Serra, the ‘poet of iron,’ has died at 85
- Here's 5 things to know about the NFL's new kickoff rule
- Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
- WWII ace pilot Richard Bong's plane crashed in 1944. A team has launched a search for the wreckage in the South Pacific.
- Time, money, lost business are part of hefty price tag to rebuild critical Baltimore bridge
- Hop on Over to Old Navy, Where You Can Score 50% off During Their Easter Sale, With Deals Starting at $10
Recommendation
Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
Brittany Mahomes Shares She's Struggling With Hives and Acne in New Makeup-Free Selfies
If you see this, destroy it: USDA says to 'smash and scrape' these large invasive egg masses
Ahmaud Arbery’s killers ask a US appeals court to overturn their hate crime convictions
Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
Texas AG Ken Paxton reaches deal to resolve securities fraud charges before April trial
Katie Maloney Accused of Having Sex With This Vanderpump Rules Alum
You might spot a mountain lion in California, but attacks like the one that killed a man are rare